Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Beaver Creek

Blake, Kennedy, Payzlee, and I went with my parents to a place called Beaver Creek in the Unitas's.  If you are familiar with Hoop Lake and Henry's Fork, this area is right in the middle of the two.  

The campsite we stayed at was a non-maintained campsite.  Which is no official campfire ring, no outhouses, no running water, and such.  The campsite we stayed at looked like mainly hunters were the one who used it.  Since there were no outhouses, the hunter made their own.  I thought they looked a bit rough, I guess you cant complain when you are in the outdoors.  That being said I used the bathroom in the 5th wheel.  There was no way you would catch me using one.  Now I cant say that for Blake or my dad. 

I don't have too many camping stories that we have left the horses home.  Of course they were with us.  It had been a couple of years since I had rode my horse Chance.  He was having some feet issues.  And finally my dad had him feeling better.  Blake, my dad, and I went on a horse ride.  We left about 8:00/9:00 and got back just after lunch.  My mom the trooper watched Kennedy and Payzlee for us.  On our way in to where my dad was taking us, we didn't see anything too exciting.  Just trees, rocks, grass, and wild flowers. I can't tell you how tranquil it is when you on the trail.  You definitely get lost in your thoughts.  Great time for mediation. 

Getting all ready to ride.

Ready to get on.

Ready.

Off we go!

My dad wanted to ride to this lake and check it out.  It took a couple or more hours to get there.  We came into the opening and there was the lake.  It was pretty big.  We let the horses get a drink and then we got off.  As we were sitting there on the opposite side of the lake, there was a juvenile bull moose.  Next thing we know he is in the lake to take a dip so we thought.  From where we were to where the moose was seemed liked 500 plus yards away.  So no big deal right.  As this moose began swimming he was headed right for us.  I was a bit nervous and was like "what the heck is he doing?".  As he was swimming he began to look tried.  By now this moose is roughly 250 yards aways.  You can tell the bottom is quite deep by how he is swimming.  He looks like he was dog paddling.  Just then he disappeared.  I said to my dad "what is going on? Is that moose drowning?"  Just then he pops up.  He is completely covered in water but his rump and head.  Then he is gone, but this time we watched close.  When he popped his head back up, you could see he was eating.  He was eating grasses off the bottom of the lake in this somewhat swallow area.  He must of got too hungry to continue coming at us.  Cause just ask Blake or my dad, that moose looked like he was on a mission to property his territory.  He ate in this one area for about 1/2 hour.  Then he got out of the lake.  When he got all the way out his shook like a wet dog.  And you could hear him.  It was pretty cool.  Now I am sure pictures would be so cool to see, but guess who left their camera at the trailer.  You guessed it me.  But I am sure you all know what a moose looks like.  Not missing anything there.  But it would have been cool to document, since people don't get too close to them often. On the way back my dad's horse Bobby Jo got all excited and nervous.  She can be kind of skittish.  Initially we couldn't see anything to figure out why she was acting the way she was.  We got a bit further down the trail in this open meadow and eating on the edge was a cow moose.  Bobby Jo could smell the moose.  It all made sense.

The next day we just hung out around the camp while it rained.  We really roughed it.  We watched a couple of movies and took some naps.  After dinner we took a ride in the truck over to Hoop Lake.  My dad wanted to check things out over there; to see how full the camp sites were and stuff like that.  On the drive over we came across some free range cattle.  One of the cows just happened to cross in front of us.  However, it was a bit odd looking because it had the biggest bite mark out it's hide.  It was bright red too not scabbed over.  We wondered what would have done something like that.  We all surveyed the area to see if we could see anything.  Nothing in site.  We continued on our way.  We got to the camp sites and drove through them and also the campsites where the trail head and corrals were for the horses.  If you haven't been to Hoop Lake the campsites are separated by the lake.  The ones for horse on the south side of the lake and the general campsites on the north side.  It was pretty wet and crowded.  My dad was glad he decided to stay were we did.  We turned around and headed back.  Blake was driving.  We were in the area of the cattle again. We surveyed the area again.  Out of the corner of Blake's eye he saw something.  All I saw was a quick whip of the very end of the tail.  Now he really cannot confirm what he saw, but I can tell you from the size and bushiness of the tail what we think he saw and what could take such a big bite out cattle like that.  Not a mountain lion, but yes, a wolf.  Now in the state of Utah at the time the DWR said no wolves were living in the state.  The DWR may not have publicly addressed that the wolves were in Utah, but I bet darn well those ranchers knew if there were wolves in the area.  I say that because the ranchers know if any of their cattle are missing plus they have their ranch hands that ride to check up on them.  Folks can believe what they want, and I will believe what I want.  All I can say is the tail was not long, skinny, and sandy colored.  It was bushy and gray.  Bushy and gray more resembles a wolf. 

Blake and my dad the following day went on another ride with the horses.  I felt kinda guilty leaving Kennedy with my mom back at the trailer, so I decided it was best to stay with them.  I sure don't get to ride as often as I would like.  But I got to ride quite a bit more than the year before.  That nursing business kinda holds you back, but well worth it.  My mom, Kennedy, and I went on walk and went to check out the other camp sites in the area.  Some were a bit more improved than ours, but not isn't saying much.

Kennedy had fallen asleep went we went riding the first time.  We put her on the horse when my dad and Blake we getting for the ride when it was just them. 


As you can see she didn't like it so much by herself.  But later when they got back and was with Grandpa Bart, everything changed.

My dad and Kennedy on Bobby Jo

You maybe thinking, how come Karen never went for a horse ride.  Well, for those of you who don't know, my mom DISLIKES riding horses.  She had a bad experience some years ago when I was a kid.  I believe she was bucked off.  Since then she hasn't cared to ride.  I know of 2 times since then that she has rode a horse.  Depending on where we go, she will get a head start walking and then us on the horses will catch up and usually pass her.  She will then later on catch up with us.  We carry all the gear.  That was she only has to worry about carrying some water and jolly ranchers for herself.  It works for her and us.  Depending who we have gone camping with I will let someone else ride and then I will walk with my mom.  That way my mom isn't always walking by herself.

  Payzlee

My mom and Payzlee by the river.

Blake and my mom always love a fire.  I could really careless.  I don't like smelling smokey.

My mom, Kennedy (holding the cow bell), my dad, and Blake.


Kennedy and Blake.  She is still holding the cow bell.
My dad put the cow bell on the lead horse, so he knows
where they are when he lets them out to graze while
being hobbled. 

2 comments:

  1. How cool you got to watch that moose. I remember watching some dear swim across a lake once. I am sure it was a wolf that you guys say. It makes me want to get out and go camping. Now if It could just warm up here that would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun! I wish I had a horse! :)

    ReplyDelete