Sunday, January 22, 2012

June 2011

The first of June didn't start out too well.  Kennedy for just over a week had been fighting a fever, really seems since her 2 year old checkup appointment.  Over the past week she would fever, but the fever usually broke.  The highest that it had got was roughly 100.0.  Not anything to rush to the doctor.  Just some meds to help break and she is good right?   Finally, it spiked to 102.5 degrees.  I was a bit worried.  I called the doc first thing in the morning and waited for them to call since it was before they opened.  In the meantime what does one do to help a fever go down, but give their child ice cream in a cool bath.  (Hey, I am a first time mom.)  Kennedy's cheeks were so rosie and you could tell that she did not feel the best. 


We got to the doctor and he did a rapid strep test.  As the doc was asking all her symptoms and such I said I was concerned since her temperature spiked to 102.5.  His reply was "oh, we usually don't get too concerned until it reaches 103.0."  In my simple mind it was only half a degree off.  But I learned something new.  As we waited for the results Kennedy decided to check in the exam table.


The doctor came back in told me that the rapid test came back negative.  But also he said that there was another little boy in his office with some of the same symptoms that Kennedy had and his test came back negative as well.  They would culture the swabs over the weekend and I could call back Monday to get the results.

I called back to the doctor's office Monday morning.  It took awhile for them to call me back.  I asked the nurse if I could get the results of Kennedy's culture and she said she was a bit confused.  I recapped what happened Friday.  Then she said she was confused because they usually don't culture a POSITIVE (yes, POSITIVE) rapid strep test.  I asked so you are telling me that her test came back positive on Friday and I am just finding out Kennedy does have strep.  The nurse apologized and IMMEDIATELY called in a prescription.  I had strep back in March and if Kennedy's throat felt like sharp pieces of glass in her throat all weekend - poor girl.  The nurse also told me that the little boy that also was tested for strep that his culture came back positive too.  I wonder if there was some unfortunate human mistake that someone looked at the wrong test results of Kennedy and the little boy's.  Life happens.  But this is the second time this year I have left a doctor's office of Kennedy have strep.  Also in March she has test positive for strep but I was never informed.  Glad she was okay. 

Kennedy likes to help "clean" the house with me.  This is her idea of vacuuming. 


Kennedy has started to like playing dress up.  Well, she found some "dress-up" clothes alright.  And she tried them all on.  And when I mean all I mean all.  Let your imagination wonder, but not too far...


Needless to say I have moved them.  But then a few weeks later she found them again.  Again, I have since moved them .  She has not found them since. 

Also this month Kennedy went back to the doctor.  Since May from her 2 year old checkup she has been 3 times.  This time she had some going on with her foot.  We play softball on Thursday nights.  My friend Kenzie is an RN.  I showed her Kennedy's foot and was like what do I do.  She said when I get home put some peroxide on it and draw a line with a marker on to see if the infection is spreading.  I did just that when we got home.  The next morning the infection had spread.  I called the doc and they got her in.  My mom took her cause the last two Fridays I have had off I have made plans to go riding horses with my dad.  Now, it being literally 2 weeks since her last visit.  The doc was unsure what it was on her foot.  It was a bacteria of some sort, possiblely staph.  He didn't write a prescription right away cause  their computers were down and didn't want to give Kennedy the same prescription for her strep.  Her last dose was only the day before. I had to call the doctor' when I got back and they called in a prescription.  The infection went away.  Again, another learning point for Kristin.  Very educational month as far as health goes. 

One night we had some friends Jeremy and Connie with their kids over for dinner.  (BTW - Jeremy is the man who lined Blake and I up.)  After dinner the kids wanted to play outside.  We took Kennedy's new car and trailer outside.  Brooklyn wanted to drive and that left the open spot of the trailer.  Glad Kennedy's small.


Towards the end of the month Blake's buddy Rick asked him to fish in a fishing tournament with him at Strawberry Reservoir.  They did okay, but we had more fun with us all fishing all together.

 Kennedy on our way to Strawberry.  It is so fun now that she faces forward.

 Rick and Kennedy

 Blake and Kennedy getting ready to fish from the deck
at the lodge we stayed at.

 Kennedy's first time sleeping in her new sleeping back.
She is getting to be such a big girl.

 Rick and his wife Kaily have a little girl that is
almost 3 months old. I guess not only can a
stroller be used to carry the baby, but all
your fishing gear too.  A little redneck.  We had
a good laugh.

 Kennedy and Dad fishing.

 Kennedy lost interest real quick.  Fishing from
the shore was a bit rough.  It was really windy.
We got skunked. 

Dad and Kennedy headed back to head home.

2 comments:

  1. So first off she is so cute!! I can't believe how big she is getting. Second Doctors drive me crazy I would have totally lost it. I love all the pictures it make me miss you guys. I'm thinking of coming out in July.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kennedy is SO CUTE Kristen!! I love seeing all your updates. Can't wait till you can get caught up =)

    ReplyDelete