Saturday, November 12, 2011

April 2011

As many of you know there was the possibility of a Government shutdown because Congress had not come to agreement on the budget.  Normally the Government operates on what as know as the Continuing Resolution Agreement (CRA).  CRA goes into effect at 12:00 AM eastern time Oct 1.  The beginning of the new fiscal year and it end 11:59 local time 30 Sept.  In years past Congress has agreed to a budget sometime between November and December.  Since the Government is financially strapped, it has taken a bit longer for Congress to come to an agreement.  This year if I remember there were roughly 8 extensions to the budget.  Finally it came down to crunch time the first part of the month.  If Congress had not come to agreement by 11:59 pm eastern time, the entire Federal Government was going to being furloughed.  That means all civilian worker in the Department of Defense, Forest Service, National Parks, etc would be closed.  However, the Post Office and Military would have remained open because they are paid and operate out of different pot of money.  The possibility of a furlough scared me. Blake and I are prepared because of the type of job Blake has.  But I did not want to dip into savings if I really had to.  This was almost the case.  Finally Congress came to an agreement.

This made me think about workers that are laid off.   It made me really respect their position.  Because at the end of the day for me, I still had a job and position to go back to just no pay.  But when one is laid off, they have no job or pay and are left wondering how they will provide for their family.  I after this I count my blessing.  It may seem like a lot, but I have a job, Blake has a job, we both have vehicles to transport us to point a to point b, we have a home, we have clothes, food to eat, and a beautiful daughter aka a family. There are many that don't have all of that this day and age.  We are definitely VERY fortunate.  Remember to be thankful for the small stuff.  It is the small stuff that counts, not the big stuff.

We went to Iceburg's.  This was the kid's cone that Kennedy got with her meal.   Not sure what their definition of kid's cone this is.  It is more like a monster ice cream cone. 


Blake and I had a chance to go to my favorite country singer - King George Strait.  I convenienced my dad to go and my parents came with us.  Along with Blake's friends Ryan and Kristina.  With George came LeAnn Woolmack and Reba McEntire.  I saw this same show in Las Vegas with my friend Whitney the year before.  I wasn't too sure about Reba.  But man is she a GREAT performer.  Such a crowd pleaser.  When I heard they were coming to Salt Lake, I jumped on it.  The show was great, however our seats sucked.  Yes I know I picked them, but no one wanted to pay an arm and a leg for seats.  I was ready too, but I went with the group.  We sat in the lowest possible upper bowl seats in the ESA.  From that expirence now, I will make sure to cough up the extra bucks and get lower seats.  I was a bit jealous of my my Lynley, because she and her husband got floor seats.  And to make me more jealous she got to shake George's hand.  Their seats were right by the isle where they walked on and off the stage.  The music and food were great.  Can't wait until George comes again. 



Since we celebrated Easter.  We had some Easter Egg hunts.

 My Dad

 Ellie and Sharon

Sister-in-law Jordyn 

Me and Kennedy

We also made it to Tepanyaki with Blake's friend Quinn.  He recently got engaged and wanted us to meet is cute finance Stacie.  We took Kennedy with us.  Trying out the chopstick.  She has some work to go.  At least she tries.  She follows in her dad's footsteps.  I don't eat well with chopsticks, I just go for the fork. 



Not much other than that took place in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment